By combining the academic world with the real world, HPS Engagement creates real-life laboratories in which students get to practice what they have learned. These experiences allow faculty, students, and community partners to work together in transformative ways.
Benefits for students
- Deeper understanding of subject matter than is possible through classroom study alone
- The capacity for critical thinking and application of knowledge in complex situations
- The ability to engage in lifelong learning, including learning in the workplace
- Increased awareness of complex social issues impacting one’s community
- Stronger connection to resources and services within the community
- Increased motivation to make a meaningful contribution to one’s community
UNT values students engaging in the community in meaningful ways. Career Connect experiences give students the opportunity to work with a community partner towards a mutually beneficial goal - providing real experiences like internships, volunteer work, research projects, study abroad trips, etc. Every UNT student already has a wide range of community-engaged experiences during their time at UNT. These can be both classroom and co-curricular. Connect is a way to integrate the work and showcase skills. As students complete a Connect experience, important skills like communication, teamwork and critical thinking are evaluated and students integrate the work by reflecting and identifying the skills they're building - all to prepare them with marketable skills for careers and graduate degrees.
Learn more about Career Connect
"Connections" (CC BY-NC 2.0) by moonty
"Research" (CC BY-NC 2.0) by Leo Hidalgo (@yompyz)
"Artist’s First Palette" (CC BY 2.0) by mckinney75402
"Jaehee fielding questions" (CC BY 2.0) by juhansonin
"Changdeokgung_Moonlight_Tour_Foreign_Med" (CC BY-SA 2.0) by KOREA.NET - Official page of the Republic of Korea
"Partners" (CC BY 2.0) by JD Hancock