Pre-Engineering Program

This special UNT program in the College of Health and Public Service (HPS) prepares students to pursue undergraduate degrees in the College of Engineering.

As a PREP student, you are part of HPS. Our academic advisors guide you through course selection to help you stay on track towards College of Engineering admissions and avoid taking classes that will not be beneficial in your desired degree plan.

HPS advisors help you by:

  • Advising you on course selections each semester
  • Making recommendations on math leveling options
  • Referring you to resources on campus
  • Exploring other majors and career options
  • Supporting you in your academic career

    Pre-Engineering Program FAQs

  • +What is Pre-Engineering?

    Pre-Engineering is a special UNT program housed within the College of Health and Public Service (HPS) designed to guide students as they work to enter the College of Engineering. HPS staff advise and support you, as well as answer questions and help you explore options.

  • +Why am I listed as a Pre-Engineering student instead of Engineering?

    The College of Engineering has admissions requirements beyond those of the university. To be admitted into the College of Engineering, students need to be eligible to enroll in Calculus I (MATH 1710) and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher (Academic Good Standing).

  • +How do I become eligible for Calculus I (MATH 1710)?

    • At UNT, the Math Department assigns MATH courses to different levels based on the type of math and the difficulty.
    • For a student pursuing a degree in Engineering, the first three levels are:
      • Level 1: MATH 1100 (College Algebra)
      • Level 2: MATH 1650 (Pre-Calculus)
      • Level 3: MATH 1710 (Calculus I)
    • There are two ways to reach Level 3: MATH 1710 (Calculus I)
      1. MATH Courses: Students can choose to progress through the MATH courses (one per semester), each requiring a C or higher to progress. This is recommended for students who are unfamiliar with Algebra, Pre-Calculus and/or Calculus I. Learn more at Which UNT Math Class is Right for Me? (PDF)
      2. Placement Exam: Students can complete a math placement exam with the Math Department to determine the best starting course for them. This is recommended onlyfor students who have some familiarity with Algebra, Pre-Calculus, and/or Calculus I.  Students interested in completing a math placement exam should review their options and contact the Math Department (located in GAB #443). 

  • +What classes can I take while in Pre-Engineering?

    • Because leveling in math is the gateway to the College of Engineering, we require that all students in Pre-Engineering complete a math course every semester. Along with your math course, we will help you get started on completing your university core.
    • University core is a set of course requirements that all students seeking a bachelor’s degree at the University of North Texas must complete. There will be some areas (like Math and Science) in which we advise you to take specific courses, and some areas (like Creative Arts and Social & Behavioral Science) in which you will get to choose a course from an approved list.
    • Depending on your major, you may be able to begin taking engineering courses beforeyou are in the College of Engineering. Work closely with your HPS advisor to learn what classes you can enroll in while you are a Pre-Engineering student. 

  • +How long do I have to complete the admission requirements to become a major in the College of Engineering?

    • Students have one year to complete the Pre-Engineering program from the time they enter it.  We limit the amount of time you may be in the program to ensure you remain on a path leading to your ultimate goal (a Bachelor’s degree) and to avoid recommending classes that will not meet degree requirements (additional hours) as these will lengthen the amount of time it takes you to graduate and increase the cost of courses over time.
    • If you complete the College of Engineering admission requirements in less than one year, you may declare your major with them before the one-year mark. Work closely with your Pre-Engineering academic advisor to track your progress through the program.

  • +Once I have met admissions requirements for the College of Engineering, what do I do next?

  • +I want to change my major to something outside of the College of Engineering. What do I do next?

    With over 100 majors at UNT, it is not surprising you found something that piqued your interest. Your next step is to contact the advising office of the college that houses the major you want to pursue using this list of Advising offices by college.

Helpful Resources

Your academic advisor

Our advising team is ready to help you. Contact the advisor designated to your last name:

Azzama Alia
Academic Counselor for PREP (Last names A-C)

Amanda Devaney
Academic Counselor for PREP (Last names D-P)

Terry Williams
Academic Counselor for PREP (Last names Q-Z)

Azzama Alia Academic Counselor  940-565-4115   Chilton 289
Amanda DeVaney Academic Counselor  940-565-4115 (main)   Chilton 289
Terry F. Williams, M.S., MPA Academic Advisor  940-565-4115 (main)   Chilton 289

Advising and Student Success

Welcome to the College of Health and Public Service (HPS)! You’ve made a wise decision to join a College that has absolutely made an impact on the university and the community it serves. The College prides itself in being student focused and community oriented, with innovative, applied research.

The Student Services Office provides ongoing support for HPS undergraduate students as you progress from freshmen to seniors ready to graduate.
 Chilton Hall 289