Pursue the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor credential at UNT.
Our Post-graduate Advanced Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling is designed for current and aspiring rehabilitation counselors who intend to pursue the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor credential per Category 3 established by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification. The certificate is offered through UNT’s Main Campus and 100% Online.
Post-Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling Details
Post-Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling
The post-graduate certificate in rehabilitation counseling is designed for current and aspiring rehabilitation counselors who intend to pursue the certified rehabilitation counselor credential, per Category 3 established by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
The certificate requires 21 hours of post-graduate coursework in rehabilitation counseling.
This certificate is only open to those with a master's, specialist, or doctoral Category 3 approved degree in one of the following majors from an accredited institution:
- Addictions/Substance Abuse Counseling
- Counseling Psychology
- School/Guidance Counseling
- Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy
- Mental Health Counseling
- Social Work
- Counselor Education & Supervision-Doctoral Degree*
Students must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA (B average) in all graduate coursework.
- RHAB 5700 — Ethical and Professional Foundations in Rehabilitation Counseling
- RHAB 5770* — Rehabilitation Research and Program Evaluation
- RHAB 5730 — Medical and Psychosocial Aspects of Disability
- RHAB 5740 — Rehabilitation Assessment
- RHAB 5741 — Employment and Career Development
- RHAB 5742 — Professional Issues in Case Management
- RHAB 5720* — Rehabilitation Counseling Theories OR RHAB 5721 — Rehabilitation Counseling Applications
*Course substitution: RHAB 5715 - Disability Issues in Human Development may be substituted for RHAB 5720 if a counseling theories course has been taken as part of their previous graduate degree. Other courses may be substituted with permission of the graduate advisor.
*Course substitution: RHAB 5770-Rehabilitation Research and Program Evaluation may be substituted for RHAB 5710 Multicultural Rehabilitation Counseling Practice if a multicultural course has been taken as part of a previous graduate degree.
Post-Grad Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling Application Process
The Rehabilitation Counseling Post-Graduate Certificate program has fall and spring admissions. The application deadline for Fall 2024 is April 1, 2024. All application materials must be turned into the Department of Rehabilitation & Health Services (RHS) by 5:00pm on the day of the application deadline. All transcripts and your ApplyTexas application should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline (see Step 1 below).
Three-Step Application Process
The application process for the Post-Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling is a three-step process. The first two steps are completing two separate applications. After these applications have been processed, you may be invited to interview as part of the third step.
1. Application to Toulouse Graduate School
Applicants must apply to and be accepted by UNT’s Toulouse Graduate School. Applicants typically have a 3.0 GPA or higher on the last 60 undergraduate semester hours from their bachelor’s degree, and at least a 3.4 on a completed master’s degree. Applicants with lower GPAs may be considered by individual review. In order to apply to the graduate school, you will need to submit:
- ApplyTexas Application
- Application Fee
- Transcripts from all previously attended institutions
Transcripts should be sent directly to the graduate school. Sending them to the department instead could slow the processing of your application. Official transcripts can either be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Toulouse Graduate School
1155 Union Circle #305459
Denton, TX 76203-5017
It is recommended that you send in all transcripts to the graduate school at least two weeks prior to the application deadline.
*All graduate applicants must meet the Toulouse Graduate School admission requirements, but most programs also have additional requirements and deadlines. Please see application steps 2 and 3.
2. Application to Rehabilitation and Health Services Department
Students must also apply to the department. Students can work on application steps 1 & 2 at the same time. Items you will need for step 2 to apply to the department include:
- Department Application
- Current Resume
Your Self-Statement should be a two to three-page double-spaced, typed essay that addresses both of the following prompts:
- Oftentimes our life experiences and interactions with various individuals influence our lifelong passions and direction. What specific life experiences and or individual interactions ignited your passion for rehabilitation counseling? Please discuss any attributes, experiences, or interests that would enable you to make a distinctive contribution to the rehabilitation counseling profession.
- As our world has become more complex and intersecting, we have also seen our client issues become much more challenging to address. As a future rehabilitation counseling professional, what do you believe are the responsibilities you would have for the client's well-being, and how would you hope to meet those responsibilities (given your present understanding of the role and responsibilities of a rehabilitation counseling professional)?
The statement and your resume should be emailed to: email@example.com.
Once the department has received all of your application materials, qualified applicants will be contacted to set-up an admissions interview after April 1, 2024.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Azzama Alia at Azzama.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for Fall 2024 is April 1, 2024. All application materials must be turned into the Department of Rehabilitation & Health Services (RHS) by 5:00pm on the day of the application deadline. All transcripts and your ApplyTexas application should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline.
Rehabilitation and Health Services
The RHS mission is to prepare professionals to enhance the lives of diverse populations including the aging population, individuals with disabilities, substance use disorders and/or chronic health concerns through training in advanced research, education and service delivery, or clinical practice.
Our department is comprised of community engaged academics providing an education that reaches beyond the classroom.