Getting Started With Your BSW Application
Students must make application and be formally admitted into the Social Work program at UNT. This typically occurs late in the student's sophomore year or early in their junior year. Applications into the program are reviewed each spring and fall semesters for admission to the following term. Please note that the UNT Social Work program may receive more qualified applicants than it can accept. Therefore, admission may be competitive and because of faculty-to-student ratio requirements associated with accreditation guidelines, the number of students who may be admitted into the program each semester varies. Application deadlines for the upcoming academic year are as follows:
|Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Entry|
|Fall 2020 - Due October 9, 2020, 5:00 PM||Approximately 30 Days Later||Spring 2021|
|Spring 2020 - Due February 28, 2020 5:00 PM||Approximately 30 Days Later||Fall 2021|
In order to be considered for admission, students must meet the following requirements:
- Have successfully completed (C or higher) or will complete the following Social Work prerequisite courses at UNT, or the equivalents at another university or community college (by the semester of application):
- Have an overall GPA of 2.25 or higher
- Submit all required documents for application consideration within required deadlines
Current UNT students must complete the steps in the admissions process as follows:
- Complete this Qualtrics survey to request a Degree Audit from Parker Ellis in the Advising Office located in the College of Health & Public Services (Chilton Hall, Suite # 112). It will take three business days to process the Degree Audit.
- The Degree Audit will be submitted directly to the BSW Program Director. Attached to the Degree Audit will be a Semester by Semester Plan. This plan will indicate how many core courses, minor, or elective courses you have left to take. Students typically need less than 21 core courses left at the time of application (consideration is based on plans to successfully complete core). The Semester-by-Semester Plan will indicate if it is the appropriate time for the student to proceed with the application. The Degree Audit and Semester by Semester plan will be emailed to the student at their UNT email address prior to or during their Social Work Faculty Mentoring Meeting.
- Students will sign up here to attend a brief Social Work Faculty Mentoring Meeting via Zoom with BSW Program Director Cassidy Baker. The student will need to sign up for a timeslot as soon as possible to set up an appointment for consultation regarding social work program requirements. Students must meet with the BSW Program Director for a Social Work Faculty Mentoring Meeting in order for applications to be considered.
- During the scheduled appointment with the Professor Baker, the student will receive and discuss both the Degree Audit and the Semester-by-Semester Plan. BSW Program Director Cassidy Baker will review the student's Degree Audit, Plan, criteria for admission (GPA, professional and ethical behaviors, etc) and general program/professional expectations.
- Professor Baker will provide the student with the completed and signed Semester-by-Semester Plan at the end of the appointment.
- (Transfer students will need to contact the Advising Office or Social Work Department for instructions)
Application to Social Work Program
Click this link for the application: BSW Application - Fall 2020
Please note that an application will not be reviewed until all of the following materials have been completed and emailed to BSWApplications@unt.edu (by the deadline):
- Cover Sheet
- Personal Statement (recommend minimum of 4 double spaced pages). Address all components to the following questions:
- Please explain your desire to enter the social work field. Why do you want to become a social worker?
- What personal qualities equip you for the social work profession? Discuss your experiences and feelings about working with populations different from your own.
- What personal challenges might you face as a future social worker? How will you address those challenges?
- What significant relationships and life experiences (personal and/or professional) have you had in giving or receiving help that have motivated you to enter the field of social work?
- What social problem most concerns you? What have you done in the past to support this interest and/or how do you plan to use your social work education to address this issue?
Students must submit their application electronically in PDF format by the deadline with all required attachments. These should be submitted to BSWApplications@unt.edu. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered or reviewed. Please note the deadline for Fall 2020 Admission is: October 9th, 2020 by 5PM.
Applicants will be formally notified regarding decisions of their applications to the UNT Social Work program via students’ official UNT email account or for transfer students, the student’s mailing address.