5th Edition Graduate Academic Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (GACT-ABA)
Starting in Fall 2019, we are very proud to offer eight courses in our Verified Course Sequence (VCS) which are designed to provide the knowledge base for effective and compassionate practice in behavior analysis and to meet the coursework specifications of the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB). This program option is suitable for students who are currently working on or have completed a master’s degree.
The Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI) has verified the following courses toward the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst® examination. Applicants will need to meet additional requirements before they can be deemed eligible to take the examination. In particular, supervised fieldwork must be acquired separately; please visit our Supervision page for more information.
There are eight 3-hour courses that focus on scientifically grounded and humanely practiced behavioral interventions:
BEHV 5610 ABA Foundations, Concepts and Principles I
BEHV 5612 Meaningful Assessment in Behavioral Practice
BEHV 5613 Culturally Responsive Ethics in Behavioral Practice
BEHV 5618 ABA Foundations, Concepts and Principles II
BEHV 5619 Fundamentals and Techniques of Compassionate and Effective Behavior Change
BEHV 5622 Evidence-based Practice: Understanding and Using Applied Behavior Analytic Research
BEHV 5627 Behavioral Practice in Autism
BEHV 5634 Improving Staff Performance in Behavioral Practice
All courses are offered every Fall, Spring, and 13-week Summer semester.
To avoid misrepresenting your qualifications, please be aware of the following distinctions:
- The GACT-ABA certificate is not the same as a graduate degree in applied behavior analysis.
- The GACT-ABA certificate is not the same as BACB certification. It is evidence that an individual has met the coursework requirements of the BACB's requirements in preparation for the BACB's independent certification examination.
- The BACB is not affiliated with UNT or any other university or organization. It is an independent agency that offers a professional certification program.
- The GACT-ABA certificate is not required by the BACB to become certified.
Minimum Qualifications for those taking the BACB exam before January 2022
Applicants must have a Master's degree or higher in either Psychology, Education, or Behavior Analysis to apply for the 4th edition BACB exam. Please visit the October 2018 BACB Newsletter for updated degree requirements for Board certification starting in January 2022.
- Application fee (see Graduate School for details)
- Approximately $1,350 in-state AND out-of-state for each 3 credit hour course
- Approximately $1650 international for each 3 credit hour course
Behavior Analysis Online is not responsible for ensuring that our Master of Arts degree or Graduate Academic Certificate in ABA meet state licensure requirements. Each student is responsible for determining the requirements to practice ABA in the state in which they wish to practice.