UNT MSW Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I get an MSW?

Upon successful degree completion, an MSW graduate is eligible to become a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW), one of the most highly recognized professional titles in health and human services. Students can pursue their licensure by meeting state requirements, including passing an examination approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). Social workers who complete two years of post-graduate supervision may take the examination to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

What careers are available with an MSW?

An MSW degree opens a broad range of career options for graduates. Direct service careers in child welfare, mental health, community practice, schools, aging, medical practice, clinical work, advocacy, and many others are all available to MSW graduates. Additionally, many management and administrative positions in public and private non-profit agencies are filled with MSW graduates.

What is the mission of the UNT MSW Program?

The UNT MSW Program’s Mission is to prepare effective advanced generalist social workers for ethical practice and leadership across settings and to promote human and community well-being in rapidly changing environments. The program is dedicated to preparing graduates to apply evidence-informed knowledge, skills and values as they address complex issues and problems, while promoting social and economic justice with those who are vulnerable and oppressed. With a global perspective of our interdependent world, graduates will practice and promote respect for human diversity and the advancement of human rights to benefit the quality of life for individuals, groups, families, organizations and communities.

I already have a bachelor’s degree in social work. Am I eligible for Advanced Standing?

If you completed a BSW degree within the last five years and meet the program requirements, you are eligible to apply to the Advanced Standing program. Advanced Standing students may earn their MSW in one year.

My undergraduate degree is not in social work. May I still apply?

As long as you have a degree from an accredited university and meet the program requirements, you are eligible to apply to the two-year Traditional Program.

How long will it take to complete the master’s program?

Program duration is determined by student status. There are two types of students admitted to the UNT Master of Social Work Program. Students on the Advanced Standing degree plan complete the program in one year. Students on the Traditional degree plan complete the program in two years.

May I complete the UNT MSW program on a part-time basis?

We have two extended degree plans allowing students to take courses over additional semesters. The advanced standing program includes an extended option which will take three semesters to complete. The traditional program includes an extended option which will take six semesters to complete. The degree plans can be viewed on our website.

Is there a minimum GPA required for program acceptance?

Yes, the minimum GPA is 3.0 for the last 60 hours of coursework.

Is a GRE or GMAT required?

No GRE or GMAT is required to apply for admission.

What is the application process for admission?

Applicants can learn more about the application process to the UNT MSW Program here. Prospective students will need to first submit their application to Apply Texas. They then will need to ensure their official transcripts are sent directly to the UNT Toulouse Graduate School. In addition, applicants will need to complete and submit their UNT MSW Department Application as a part of the application process.

How can I get more information on the UNT MSW program?

Please email socialwork@unt.edu for more information on the MSW program, as well as questions and concerns. Applicants can also visit our website to learn more about the program and how to apply.

Does the UNT MSW Program accept transfers?

Prospective transfer students must first apply to the UNT MSW program here and be admitted before a determination will be made on graduate credit hours that may be accepted. We only review transfer credits from other CSWE accredited programs. This means applicants with graduate credit hours outside of social work will not be able to transfer credits into the program. Practice courses, Field Practicum courses, and Field Seminar courses from another institution will not be accepted.

MSW courses taken at another institution will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and subject to approval before they can be transferred into the MSW program. Transfer credits are limited in accordance with graduate school guidelines up to 9 credit hours. Admission to the MSW Program does not guarantee approval of transfer credits.

Prior to admission to the program:

  1. Applicants must contact the institution they are transferring from to request a letter of recommendation from the MSW Program Director or Chair to be sent to socialwork@unt.edu.
  2. Applicants requesting to transfer into the UNT MSW program must provide this letter prior to the application deadline or they will not be considered for admission.

Once admitted into the program, applicants requesting transfer credit must send an email to socialwork@unt.edu with the following attachments:

  1. A letter of request to the MSW Program Director that identifies the course(s) for which the transfer credit is requested,
  2. A copy of the official catalog of the university where the course was taken,
  3. A copy of the course syllabus,
  4. An official transcript showing the grade earned (Only grade of B or higher will be considered)

Is it possible to receive credit based on work or life experience?

No credit, including course work or field practicum hours, is granted for life experience or work experience. Students must complete the full curriculum and all practicum requirements in order to graduate from the program.

Does completing the program guarantee licensure?

Licensure is acquired by successfully completing a CSWE accredited educational program and passing an examination for licensure. Information about applying for the licensure examination can be obtained at the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners website.

Effective Sept. 1, 2017, HB 1508 created new laws that require entities providing educational programs leading to an occupational license to notify all applicants and enrollees of the implications of having a felony conviction, which may make them ineligible to obtain a license upon program completion. The law requires that this information be provided to all persons who are enrolled or applying to a teaching program without regard to whether or not the person has been convicted of a criminal offense.

How much does it cost to attend?

The cost of our programs varies based on a number of factors (e.g., in state vs. out of state, full-time vs. part-time, academic year, etc.). Please visit the UNT Tuition Estimator to input your status and estimate your tuition plan. For more information on financial aid resources, please go to the UNT Financial Aid & Scholarships webpage.

How many hours are required for field practicum?

In addition to conventional coursework, students on the Traditional Degree Plan complete two full-time field practicum placements. Students on the Advanced Standing Degree Plan complete one full-time practicum placement. Field practicum requires approximately 30-35 hours per week in an agency setting. Each practicum will be in one semester, face to face, and during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). Students completing the Traditional Degree Plan will need to complete 400 hours their first year and 500 hours their second year in the program. Students completing the Advanced Standing Degree Plan will need to complete 500 hours for their field practicum during their last semester in the program.

When is the deadline to apply to the MSW Program?

The Spring 2025 application cycle is open. All application materials must be received by August 30, 2024 at 5pm CST. Click here for application information.

When will I know a decision about my application?

The Fall 2024 application cycle is now closed. Information about Spring 2025 coming soon.